This three day course will cover several aspects of decorative knitting techniques and is suitable for knitters who want to add an extra dimension to their work. The project will take the form of creating A Knitter s Sketchbook. You will have the opportunity to knit pages for your Sketchbook, by exploring different techniques such as 3-D effects, surface decoration, embroidery, edges and trims and sequence knitting. Samples will be compiled into a book or folder to serve as a reference for future design work.
Over the course of three days we will use our sessions to look in detail at:
- 3-D effects like cables, bobbles and pintucks: We will explore how to work bobbles in different colours and textures as well as how to embellish a plain bobble. We will look at working cables in different colours and textures as well as how to add beads and embroidery to a plain cable. Pintucks are a great way to add interest and movement to large areas of plain knitting as well as small areas like collars and cuffs.
- Surface decoration: This section will focus on adding yarns in various ways. We will look at plying up different yarns to create different effects. We will also look at how weaving and couching can add interest. Clusters and dipped stitches are a fantastic way to introduce eye catching details.
- Embroidery: Knitted fabrics make a great base for stitching as they provide a grid to work on. As well as traditional stitches we will also explore techniques like smocking, beading and applique.
- Edges and trims: An interesting edge or a trim can make all the difference to a plain or simple project. This section will be a great opportunity to run wild with frills, fringing, beads, tassels and different methods of casting on and off.
- Sequence knitting: I have decided to include this technique because it may be one that is entirely new to you! It is incredibly easy but it opens up all sorts of opportunities to think about adding texture to your work.
Please bring with you
I will be providing a wide range of yarns to sample.
Knitting needles ranging from 2.75mm – 6mm
Knitters sewing needle
Small amounts of interesting yarns
The following items can be purchased from your tutor
Creative thread packs
Creative fabric packs
Yarn – various, including some hand dyed
Intermediate. If you are not sure if this is you, please ask!
Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire HP16 0BD
Sarah Hazell - NEW TUTOR
Sarah has a lifelong interest in textiles. She has written several books on knitting and crochet and writes two columns every month for Knitting Magazine. Sarah has been a workshop tutor for nearly twenty years and aims to inspire as well as instruct. She is also a designer in her own right and her patterns can be found in magazines, on her website and through Ravelry.
@sarahhazell6 on Instagram